Ministry of Information Technology initiated National Information and Communication Technology ICT&D Fund in order to accelerate the development of ICT infrastructure for research, development and educational purposes.
National ICT R&D Fund is offering fully funded scholarships for talented students from rural/non-metropolitan areas of Pakistan with the objective to develop human resource capacity in ICT fields in Pakistan.
The Prime Minister’s National ICT Scholarship Program 2011 (Extended for Spring 2012) will provide fully funded 4 year undergraduate degree scholarships in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) related disciplines in the top ICT universities of Pakistan, and hence enhance capacity in the best ICT related educational institutions.
This program is run with the financial collaboration of Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) of Government of Pakistan.
The program has been successfully in operation since 2006. In order to accelerate the process and to cater the students who could not benefit for fall 2011, the program of the year 2011 has been extended for Spring 2012.
This year there will be no ICT Scholarship Award Test and it is the responsibility of a candidate to get admission at any of the Participating Universities.
The potential participating universities are:
- Bahria University, Islamabad
- Balochistan University of IT, Engineering & Management Sciences, Quetta
- Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan
- COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
- Hamdard University, Karachi
- NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
- Institute of Business Administration, Karachi
- Institute of Business Administration, Sukkur
- International Islamic University, Islamabad
- The University of Balochistan, Quetta
- Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology (SZABIST), Islamabad
The eligible students must have:
- Passed or appeared in F.Sc. Examination with Mathematics and Physics in 2010 or 2011.
- Obtained 60% or above marks in your Matriculation (Science Group) examination.
- Attended F.Sc. classes as a regular student from a School/College registered with National ICT R&D Fund.
- Applicant must have secured admission in one of the Potential Participating Universities.
- Applicant must also fulfill the merit requirements set forth by National ICT R&D Fund.
- Meet certain financial criteria – be financially deserving.
There is neither any “Training of teachers” nor any “Foundation Training” of student. The interested students must keep themselves updated by frequently visiting the National ICT R & D Fund website:
- The deadline for submitting registration forms is 16th April, 2012 (05:00 pm).
- For any specific queries, following helpline numbers should be consulted:
- 0305-588 4499 , 0341-5178798
History of National ICT Scholarship
National ICT Scholarship program aims to transform Pakistan’s economy into a knowledge-based economy by promoting efficient, sustainable and effective ICT initiatives through synergic development of industrial and academic resources.
The national ICT Scholarship Program (NICTSP) was started to provide opportunities for students of the undeserved areas to study at leading ICT Universities of the country at 4-year undergraduate degree level.
So far, about 1,900 scholarships totaling more that Rs. 1.8 billion have been awarded to students of rural areas. The program has also funded about 2,500 teachers to get trained for making the students compete for entrance examinations. Also, nearly 36,000 students have been provided trainings to eliminate the sense of being underdeveloped when comparing with peers of urban and metropolitan areas.
The following graph shows the trainings imparted so far:
Breakdown of awarded scholarships, since its inception, is as following: